By Rod Rose
Assistant Managing Editor
Boone County —
Debris falling in a bedroom closet may have saved the lives of a rural Lebanon family when their home was destroyed by fire early Wednesday morning.
Kevin and Rachel Wahl and their teenage daughter, Mackenzie, fled their home at 1885 W 300 N, just west of Interstate 65, and called 911 at 1:10 a.m. Wednesday, said Center Township Fire Department Assistant Chief Bill Koerner.
Wahl heard the noise, looked in the bedroom closet, and saw smoke, Koerner said. “The smoke alarms were starting to go off as they were exiting the home,” he said.