Fire completely consumed the Lebanon Church of the Nazarene early Sunday morning. The fire started just as storms passed through the area at about 5:30 a.m. Lebanon Police Chief Jason Lee said lightning caused the fire, striking the church and spreading on electrical wiring, igniting the flames in several places throughout the building.
When firefighters arrived at 5:47 a.m., an area of about 40 feet by 60 feet was burning. Church services were held at the Lebanon Middle School. Watch reporter.net for more details as they become available.
Neighbors, fire chief talk about fire
The scene of the church fire
Voting for the 2013 Boone County People's Choice
The Lebanon Reporter is sponsoring the 2013 Boone County People's Choice Awards. Nominations have been made and the top three finalists selected in each category. Click here to vote for your favorite. Voting ends Jan. 20. The winners will be announced in the Feb. 6 issue of The Lebanon Reporter.
Community calendar for April 20, 2013
Community calendar for Oct. 23, 2012
Community calendar for the week of July 5
Community calendar for the week of June 19
Community calendar for the week of June 5
Community calendar for the week of June 2
VIDEO: Meet the 2012 Primary Election Candidates
Each year before the election, The Lebanon Reporter introduces readers to the candidates in opposed races. Republican candidates in the May 8 primary are vying for their party's nomination for Boone County Council, Auditor and Coroner. Scroll down to see each candidate's education, experience and community activities, as well as a short video interview.
The candidates were asked these three questions:
- What do you want voters to know about you?
- What do you hope to accomplish if elected?
- What separates you from your opponents?
Here is a brief description of the duties for each office:
- Fiscal officer of the county
- Keeps accounts and issues warrants for the payment of claims.
- Responsible for all documents, books, records, maps and papers deposited in the office
- Provides clerks with estimates of assessed valuations and estimates of taxes
- Distributes funds collected to appropriate governmental agencies
- Determine the manner of death in cases involving violence or casualty, or when someone is found dead in unexplained circumstances
- Obtain police assistance for investigation
- Employ a qualified physician to direct the autopsy
- May act as sheriff if the sheriff is incapacitated or disqualified; has authority to arrest the sheriff when a warrant is issued
- Holds financial powers of the county
- Sets the county's tax rate
- Imposes the tax levy
- Makes appropriations from the county treasury
- Adopt the annual budget
- Sets salaries for county employees
SOURCE: Here is your Indiana Government
Community calendar for the week of April 26
- Voting for the 2013 Boone County People's Choice